Hot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot Images
Hot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot Images

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Festive Traditions | Christmas Love



Aloha Sprinklerinos,

In my Christmas obsessed mind, the minute Bonfire Night is over, I can go 100% crazy for tinsel, cards and fairy lights. If I'm totally honest, I've been thinking about them since September, but once November the 6th rolls round, I feel like I have a full festive license. 

1427646-11-1351530617641_large 
(Image :: weheartit.com) 

I've always been one for Christmas. I love the magic and the warmth of it all. I love the way family comes together, and the traditions that are upheld. When I was younger, my family life was pretty up and down to say the least, and so I never spent Christmas in one place or had any notable traditions, I just slotted in with whoever's house I was at and celebrated their way.

Now that I have my own family (and my wider family is a lot more settled and happy), I enjoy making new traditions that we can honour each year and embed into our yuletide memories. Since Matt and I have been together for many years now and this will be our 2nd Christmas with Baby Glitter, I thought I would share some of the ones we already have, and some that we are going to put into action this season.

Tumblr_ltnjdceol61r4sf5wo1_500_large (Image :: weheartit.com)   

 

Old Christmas Traditions

Decor. Buying Baby Glitter a new tree decoration each year. There's never a theme, just one that we think is beautiful. Then, when she leaves home as a grown up lady, we'll give her them all and she'll have a ready made set for her own tree, full of meaning and sentiment.

Films and Party food. Matt and I get a bit giddy over miniature party food. You know the type- mini pizzas, mini quiche, mini hotdogs, mini samosas etc. Since it's the season of indulgence, we take ourselves off to the supermarket, buy a couple of boxes of party food, pick a film and then sit with only the fairy lights on (Darcy is in bed by now), eating our party food and watching a film. High on calories, low on disappointment!

Parties. If there is a Christmas Party to go to, I'm there! I'm like a magnet to them. My favourite thing for them isn't actually the being there, but the prep. I like to make platters of food to take and pick something glitzy to wear and then step out into the cold air and feel excited for the evening. In my books, it's a pretty magical feeling.

Baking. Every year I have grand plans that I will be a total domestic goddess and bake treats for all the family. Every year it fails miserably in and every year I cry, then laugh about it. I doubt this year will be any different!

Carol Service. The church our family goes to is wonderful all year round, but at Christmas it is extra special. The service is so popular that you usually need to arrive about an hour before-hand just to secure a seat. It's lit up with twinkle lights and the smell of hot mince pies drift round whilst children dressed as angels run about gleefully. I love it. Last year Baby Glitter was a bit too tiny to dress up, but this year I can't wait to see her in fluffy white wings and a halo.

Tumblr_m8fmyw31rd1rd93s2o1_500_large 
(Image :: weheartit.com)  
 

New Christmas Traditions


I'm going to stick to just three so that we can really focus on them and not get too lost.

A good deed. This year I feel like I have really ingratiated myself into our local community. I know my neighbours, I'm friends with the local playgroups, I like my hair salon, the man at the corner shop is always nice to me and the postman smiles. I feel very rooted. To kind of say 'thank you', I'd like to do something nice back and I've decided that I'm going to ring around local care homes and ask if I could go in and maybe offer my nail painting services. I have an insane amount of nail polish and would love to offer a bit of pampering. If they say that's not possible, I'll ask if there is anything else me and Baby Glitter can do. We're willing and cheery.

Pinning. 2012 was the year I discovered Pinterest (thanks to THIS lady! Check her out please) and am officially hooked! I've decided building my 'Christmas Glitter' board will be a certified tradition since it makes me so very, very happy!

Crafts. Making things with paper and glue and glitter makes me insanely pleased. This year, Darcy is old enough to join in (she's rather partial to putting stickers on coloured card) and so we are going to get our arty hats on and see what beauties we come up with. I'm sure I will instagram them (as I do most things), so if you'd like to see, I am @Sprinkleofglitr on the app. 


Christmas traditions is something I could talk endlessly about but I think I will leave it there for now. I would absolutely LOVE to hear what your traditions are and if you will be setting any new ones. 

Toodlepip!

xx


This month my Ultimate Advertiser is Fash-Ling . If you would like to find out more about advertising on this blog, click HERE