Hot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot Images
Hot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot Images

Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Crafts :: Chocolate Star Trees

Aloha Sprinklerinos,

A couple of weeks ago, I made a huge culinery mess delightful little Christmas Tree out of rice chocolate crispy cakes cookie cuttered into star shapes. It didn't really turn out as spectacular as I would have liked but it was cheap and cheerful so I'm still happy.

I must confess, I can't take credit for the idea, I saw it on a Kirsty's Homemade Christmas a couple of years back and thought I would give it a whirl. It's the perfect last minute craft and a great activity for little hands if you have the kiddies round on Christmas Eve.


To make mine I used:

Rice Crispies
Chocolate
A big bowl
A microwavable bowl
A tray
Spoons
Star cookie cutters in graduated sizes (I bought mine from Hobbycraft)
Glitter, choc drops, sprinkles, whatever you fancy to adorn your creation. You can buy edible glitter online from a variety of sites (ebay it if you're lost) but mine came from Hobbycraft and I opted for an opal green shade. It's Christmas after all!


This craft isn't rocket science. Melt the chocolate, add the crispies, spoon out onto a tray, leave in the fridge to set, cut out star shapes, stack, decorate, eat!


There is something far too inviting about molten chocolate. Mmmmm.


Tada!! I will just say- I don't think chocolate crispies are the best mixture for this, they crumble EVER SO EASILY. If you are a better baker than I (which wouldn't be hard), try biscuits or gingerbread for a more visually pleasing tree. If you want fun and speed, go for crispies!


There were a lot of 'crumble casualties' and someone had to eat them all which was such a shame. I didn't want to eat handfuls and handfuls of it but you know, waste not want not and stuff. Tehe.


If in doubt, call it abstract. ;)


If the tree doesn't tickle your pickle, or you have a fair few folk to feed (oof, try saying that fast), make individual star crispies and bejewel with sweeties to make even the oldies smile.

Are these something you think might creep into your home this weekend?

Merry Christmas!

xx